Friday 31st August 1832

Friday 31st August 1832

At Lidgate in 35 minutes at 9 20/.. – Miss Walker at home – sat with her near a couple of hours then proposed going to Cliff Hill – we sat 35 minutes with Miss Walker and then after having sauntered and looked about both before and aft[e]r our call I left Miss Walker junior at her own gate about 1 and went to Lightcliffe – Mrs Priestley not at home but found her at her school and sat about a couple of hours with her – got her to tell me what creepers to have for my chaumiere – said how well Miss Walker and I got on together – had been at Cliff Hill together – asked her to take me to call on Mrs Briggs the bankers wife, and to inquire for a Highland servant for me – then got on to grave subjects – more unsettled than ever since the last 2 years - death had broken in upon my plans – all my thoughts of a fixed companion frustrated – must have someone – difficult to choose again – 

She would and must be certain I meant poor Sibbella, Mrs P said all that would be easy when the time came. She mentioned Mrs Lawton, oh no, I liked her very much but that was a different thing and made the same answer about Mrs Norcliffe. All this was to throw Mrs P off the thought of Mariana whom I know she must have fancied I had fixed on. I got on as usal friendly as ever, tho at first it struck me she thought of my seeing so much of Miss Walker? Perhaps the Priestleys will think of it by and by and Miss W and I do certainly get on marvellously, she seems quite confidential and glad to see me. Told me of her plans of altering the cliff grounds etc. 

Miss Walker and I talked of her going with Miss (Catherine) Rawson to Wastwater lake on Wednesday and of this place and that she would like to see the giants causeway and lake of Killarney – so should I – said I would take her next month, and she would have gone but for having promised to go to Wastwater! – I hoped she would not be long away – to be back before the end of next month – she would like well enough to see Switzerland – shall I get her there? – 

Mentioned my being lost near Wastwater and begged her to think of me there, yes she should not forget me. Really I almost think she has no dislike to me at any rate, who knows how it may end. I shall be wary this time. 

Miss Walker likely enough to get me a Highland man servant – In short I shall really be glad enough when she is come back again 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Would you like to come for dinner, and stay all night?

Friday 10th August 1832

Getting cosy in the Moss House