Friday 17th August 1832

Friday 17th August 1832

Called en passant on Miss Walker of Lidgate – and sat with her tete a tete from 10 to 1! Talked of household economy 

Got on very well, she consulted me about tenant right and told me all about the Priestleys and really
made a too good story against them. He not really a man of business, things went on better
without him and neither he nor she donards had not behaved like a gentleman, said how astonished I was. They, the Priestleys, knew all my family concerns, I meant leave him my executor and all she said astonished and grieved me.

In play[in]g with it foolishly broke a pret-ivory book knife Miss (Catherine) Rawson 
had given her – very sorry – Miss Walker behaved very well about it – said my great consolation was that it would be a good excuse for my giving her one some day from Paris which I hoped she would
value as much as the one destroyed – yes! she should value it more – 

Thought I, she little dreams what is in my head to make up to her, she has money and this might make
up for rank. We get on very well so far and the thought as I returned amused and
interested me. She gave me home with me the last Saturdays penny magazine.



Original diary pages here:
Page 1 - https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=CC00001%2f7%2f9%2f6%2f15%2f106&pos=1

Page 2 - https://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=CC00001%2f7%2f9%2f6%2f15%2f107&pos=1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Would you like to come for dinner, and stay all night?

Friday 10th August 1832

Getting cosy in the Moss House